“Changes to Plastic Recycling to Support our Youth in Ruidoso Downs/Capitan/Carrizozo/Corona/Ruidoso ”
Major changes have come to plastic recycling in Lincoln County according to Greentree Solid Waste [GSWA] officials. Lincoln County will now join other New Mexico communities in accepting only Grade 1 and Grade 2 plastic bottles for recycling. All other grades of plastic [3 – 7] will not be accepted by material manufacturers to whom the recycled plastic is sold, and may be discarded in the regular trash.
Identification of these items is easy! Turn the container over and look for the recycling triangle with a 1 or 2 molded or imprinted on the bottom of the container. Any other numbered plastic items should be discarded in the trash.
Grade 1 PETE plastic [polyethylene terephthalate] is ‘any plastic container with a neck’, primarily beverage containers like water bottles, soft drinks. Grade 2 HDPE [high density polyethylene] is used in water jugs, milk jugs, and other consumer products. The plastics industry trade association introduced the Resin Identification Code (RIC) system in 1988 at the urging of recyclers around the country. The code was developed to meet recyclers' needs while providing manufacturers a consistent, uniform system that could apply nationwide.
Availability of plastic recycling is driven by manufacturers who need raw materials and are willing to pickup and pay for recycled plastic bales. Soft drink bottlers remain the biggest user of PET resin. "Custom" bottles are used for other products, such as salad dressing, peanut butter and jellies. PET is also used for film, oven trays, sheeting for cups and food trays, oven trays, and other uses. Half of all polyester carpet made in the United States is made from recycled PET bottles.
Examples of plastic containers that are no longer recyclable include:
  • Medicine bottles [grade 5]

  • Yogurt, butter and other food containers

  • Other food packaging[Grades 5-7]
Other types of plastic that cannot be recycled [no market for the material] includes:
  • Styrofoam of any kind

  • Plastic wrap of any kind

  • Plastic shopping bags [can be recycled at the Smokey’s Country Market (Capitan), Wal-Mart (Ruidoso Downs) and at local thrift shops
  • Plastic containers with oil, grease, or food products

  • Restaurant cooking oil plastic containers
For more information, contact the Solid Waste Authority office at 378-4697, extension 13; toll free at 1-877-548-8772, via email at gswa@greentreeswa.org or at www.greentreeswa.org
<September 2023>
Call us about our current drop-off rate as well as our current Roll-Off specials 575-378-4697
Send comments or problems about this website to website help. For all other comments or concerns please click here.